Malawi‘s under 18 athletes will be participating in different sport disciplines such as netball, athletics, volleyball, and football at the Regional Five(V) Tournament to be held in Lesotho from 4th to 13 December 2021.
Malawi is scheduled to host the event in 2022.
Below is the brief background of the tournament
REGION 5 GAMES
The AUSC Region 5 Council of Ministers adopted a Five Year Development Plan at their 23rd November 1997 meeting in Cabinda, Angola. One of the Projects in the Development Plan was the organization and hosting of AUSC Region 5/SADC Games for the Under 20 age group on a biennial basis.
At their Special Meeting of 7th September 1999 in Johannesburg, South Africa, the AUSC Region 5 Council of Ministers agreed that the hosting of the Games shall be compulsory and rotational, and shall be the basis of the Chairmanship of the Council of Ministers. Thus the country whose Minister is the Chairperson of the AUSC Region 5 Council of Ministers shall host the Games.
Ownership and Hosting
- The Games are the exclusive property of the AUSC Region 5.
- The AUSC Region 5 Secretariat shall be responsible for the organization of the Games and shall establish committees to assist it as it deems necessary.
- The hosting of the Games is mandatory, and rotates alphabetically between Member States.
- The relationship between the AUSC Region 5 and the host country is governed by a Protocol Agreement which is signed no later than 36 months before the Games.
- The Games are organized by the host nation. The host nation is at liberty to augment state funding through funds raised from marketing activities, cooperating partners (donors) and other sources.
- The minimum duration of the Games is ten (10) days, whilst the maximum is fourteen (14) days
The aims of the Games are to:
- Encourage young sports persons to develop towards stages where they can in future represent their nations and the whole region;
- Enable young people from different Member States to meet, mix and get to know each other, thereby developing the required community spirit and regional integration;
- Develop a spirit of fair play, mutual respect and Olympism among young athletes of the Region;
- Provide opportunities for countries of the Region to unite in working on an agreed common sports Programme.
|2008||South Africa||3rd Edition|