2019 Malawi Sport Awards
The Malawi National Council of Sports (MNCS) in 2017 introduced an ‘Annual National Sport Awards’ programme to be called “Malawi Sport Awards” aimed to recognize deserving athletes, individuals and organisations that are outstanding in contributing to the development of sport in the country.
• To recognise deserving stakeholders for their contribution to sport development in Malawi.
The Award scheme strives to achieve the following objectives;
• To encourage stakeholders to be part of the sporting community.
• To encourage those who participate in sport to aim higher in their respective disciplines.
• To develop pride, hard work and sportsmanship in athletes and all stakeholders
• To encourage the corporate world into sport sponsorship and partnerships.
• To establish a long lasting association between stakeholders i.e. sponsors, athletes, and the community.
• To encourage creativity and innovation in sport practice
• To encourage and promote fair competition in sport practice
• To turn sport into an attractive industry.
•To harness and promote the power of sport for the healthy, economic and social wellbeing of the Malawi nation.
DETERMINATION OF THE WINNER
The criteria for selection of the winners is designed by the panel of judges guided by the guidelines below which are meant to promote the spirit of sportsmanship and emphasise the importance of sport to the community and the person:
SPORTS DISTRICT AWARDED ON 14th FEB 2020 AT BICC
ITS ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE YEAR 2019
Conducted training course for athletes in life skills and behavior change at Kamuzu Institute for Sports in January 2019 which targeted 20 athletes from different sport disciplines like Athletics, Judo, and Handball but only managed to train 17 athletes.
Organized table tennis tournament aimed at motivating the beginners and vitalizing the sport in the Zone wand was held on 2nd February, 2019 at Kamuzu Institute for Sports.
Held volleyball training at Livimbo LEA School in order to introduce the game into primary schools on 19th to 22nd March 2019.
Organized sports awareness campaign that targeted youth clubs like Nyamanda Youth, Nzatonse Arts Theatre and many more on 8th June in Mvunguti Zone in area 25.
Maintained Ngwenya and Nanjati primary football grounds and also Nanjati secondary netball court.
Conducted a refresher course which had 20 participants, of which 13 were primary school teachers, 3 teachers from secondary schools and 4 came from Kamuzu Barracks MDF Sports Development.
Trained 17 football players as junior referees in order to equip them with knowledge in game officiation. Mr. Luwanja and mr. jovinala were the trainers.