2019 Malawi Sport Awards
The Malawi National Council of Sports (MNCS) in 2017 introduced an ‘Annual National Sport Awards’ programme to be called “Malawi Sport Awards” aimed to recognize deserving athletes, individuals and organisations that are outstanding in contributing to the development of sport in the country.
• To recognise deserving stakeholders for their contribution to sport development in Malawi.
The Award scheme strives to achieve the following objectives;
• To encourage stakeholders to be part of the sporting community.
• To encourage those who participate in sport to aim higher in their respective disciplines.
• To develop pride, hard work and sportsmanship in athletes and all stakeholders
• To encourage the corporate world into sport sponsorship and partnerships.
• To establish a long lasting association between stakeholders i.e. sponsors, athletes, and the community.
• To encourage creativity and innovation in sport practice
• To encourage and promote fair competition in sport practice
• To turn sport into an attractive industry.
•To harness and promote the power of sport for the healthy, economic and social wellbeing of the Malawi nation
DETERMINATION OF THE WINNER
NATIONAL TEAM AWARDED ON 14th FEB 2020 AT BICC
DRAUGHTS NATIONAL TEAM OF MALAWI
ITS ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE YEAR 2019
Participated in 2019 World Draughts 64 Championship in Bulgaria from 1st to 10th September 2019, the global Championship that attracted 25 countries across the World.
With a total of 62 athletes from Africa, Enoch Banda and Moses Winesi broke into the World Elite top 30 as they finished on positions 25 and 28 respectively making history of first African draughts team to finish in the top 30( prize bracket).
Best team in Africa having improved from position 33 (in 2017) to position 25 (in 2019).
One of the athletes in the team beat an International Grandmaster at the World Draughts 64 Championship held in Bulgaria 2019.