2019 Malawi Sport Awards
The Malawi National Council of Sports (MNCS) in 2017 introduced an ‘Annual National Sport Awards’ programme to be called “Malawi Sport Awards” aimed to recognize deserving athletes, individuals and organisations that are outstanding in contributing to the development of sport in the country.
• To recognise deserving stakeholders for their contribution to sport development in Malawi.
The Award scheme strives to achieve the following objectives;
• To encourage stakeholders to be part of the sporting community.
• To encourage those who participate in sport to aim higher in their respective disciplines.
• To develop pride, hard work and sportsmanship in athletes and all stakeholders
• To encourage the corporate world into sport sponsorship and partnerships.
• To establish a long lasting association between stakeholders i.e. sponsors, athletes, and the community.
• To encourage creativity and innovation in sport practice
• To encourage and promote fair competition in sport practice
• To turn sport into an attractive industry.
•To harness and promote the power of sport for the healthy, economic and social wellbeing of the Malawi nation.
DETERMINATION OF THE WINNER
The criteria for selection of the winners is designed by the panel of judges guided by the guidelines below which are meant to promote the spirit of sportsmanship and emphasise the importance of sport to the community and the person:
(1) Outstanding skill and performance in a particular sport,
(2) Exemplary behaviour on and off field of play
(3) Creativity during play
(4) Fair play on the field of play
(5) Demonstrable willingness to promote sport development
(6) Ability and willingness to assist others and the association on and off the field of play
(7) Demonstrable positive influence the community
MEDIA HOUSE AWARDED ON 14th FEB 2020 AT BICC
ITS ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE YEAR 2019
(a) Has news and analytical sports programs that cover variety of sports on all platforms.
(b) It reaches out to the masses with its use of the radio, television newspaper and online.
(c) Daily 30 minutes programs on Mondays to Sundays.
(d) Two-hour sports slots every Saturday or Sunday from 14:30 featuring different sport personalities.
(e) Two sports reports in every news bulletin on everyday basis both in Chichewa and English.
(f) Mpira wathu program every Thursday from 20:30hrs to 21:30 hrs.
(g)Four sports pages in the Daily Times from Monday to Friday.
(h) The company’s platform has an international reach.
(i) News hour sport of the Times television on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
(j) Television breakfast live sports every Friday and Monday morning from 7:30.
(k) Sports radio and television programs are uploaded on the website.
(l) The Newspaper is uploaded on the e-edition.
(m) Multiplicity of platforms i.e use of social media -Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube; radio. Tv and Newspaper
(n) Makes deliberate efforts to encourage the associations to contribute.
(0)Special emphasis is placed on updating developments in sports news on all their platforms