2019 Malawi Sport Awards
The Malawi National Council of Sports (MNCS) in 2017 introduced an ‘Annual National Sport Awards’ programme to be called “Malawi Sport Awards” aimed to recognize deserving athletes, individuals and organisations that are outstanding in contributing to the development of sport in the country.
• To recognise deserving stakeholders for their contribution to sport development in Malawi.
The Award scheme strives to achieve the following objectives;
• To encourage stakeholders to be part of the sporting community.
• To encourage those who participate in sport to aim higher in their respective disciplines.
• To develop pride, hard work and sportsmanship in athletes and all stakeholders
• To encourage the corporate world into sport sponsorship and partnerships.
• To establish a long lasting association between stakeholders i.e. sponsors, athletes, and the community.
• To encourage creativity and innovation in sport practice
• To encourage and promote fair competition in sport practice
• To turn sport into an attractive industry.
•To harness and promote the power of sport for the healthy, economic and social wellbeing of the Malawi nation.
DETERMINATION OF THE WINNER
The criteria for selection of the winners is designed by the panel of judges guided by the guidelines
CHAIRMAN'S AWARDS AWARDED ON 14th FEB 2020 AT BICC
HIS ACHIEVEMENTS IN SPORTS
• A FIBA certified coach
• Coach for Brave Hearts Men’s senior team
• An entrepreneur who owns GY Imports and Exports Company and another business called DR PRINT..
• Started sponsoring Basketball Association of Malawi (BASMAL):
-All Star in 2016,
- National Championships in 2016 and 2017
-Northern Region League since 2017 till now
• Since 2017 sponsors an International tournament with teams from Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania in attendance
• Sponsors a national tournament called king and queen of the courts.
• In 2015 started Brave hearts Basketball club
• Through Brave Hearts club scouts for best athletes, from all over Malawi, deserving a scholarship and offers them scholarships to study at some of the best secondary schools here in Lilongwe and universities.
• So far more than 60 young people have benefited from our program.
• The Club has talent from everywhere within Malawi.
• The Club comprises four (4) teams:
-Ladies Senior team
- Men’s Senior team.
• Started a business called Brave Hearts Trading with the idea of using the generated funds to sponsor his four (4) teams and tournaments and travel budgets for international tournaments.
• Currently Brave hearts Senior Ladies and Men’s teams are National champions in the 2019 National Championships.
• Brave hearts Ladies and Men’s teams are the first teams to represent Malawi at FIBA Club Championship in 2018 in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe where they finished third (3rd) beating Zimbabwe.
• Since 2017 they ensure to attend two or three International tournaments each year.
• All activities are funded by Mr Kalua through his businesses